RPM problems - undefined symbols

Hi-

I'm using RedHat 5.2.  I've found that when I try to compile programs
that link against the libraries libesd.so and libgtk.so (maybe others,
I'm not sure), I get the following errors:

/usr/lib/libesd.so: undefined reference to `__deregister_frame_info'
/usr/lib/libesd.so: undefined reference to `__register_frame_info

The undefined symbols are the same in both libesd and libgtk.  As far as
the GTK+ library, if I use the RPM's from ftp.gtk.org, the problem
doesn't happen. It only happens with the RPM's on ftp.gnome.org, both
the -1 and -2 versions of the gtk+ rpm.  Anyone know what would cause
this?

Thanks.

-Brian Ryner
bryner@uiuc.edu