Re: docbook installation

On Mon, 22 Mar 1999, hhv wrote:
> Gleef wrote:
>
> > My copy is in /usr/lib/sgml (since I installed from RPMS).  Using
> > /usr/local/lib/sgml, /usr/share/sgml, /usr/local/share/sgml or /opt/sgml
> > would also make sense to my mind.
>
> Did you put the files in a subdir of its own?

Norman Walsh's stylesheets are in a subdirectory (stylesheets).
Everything else is flat.

> > The two key things you need for an SGML system to work are the SGML
> > programs (eg. Jade and PSGML) to be able to find CATALOG (also in
> > /usr/lib/sgml on my system),
>
> But what is CATALOG? A file? A subdirectory? It's not in the dtd package.
> In which package is it? If it's a file, what does it contain?
> The stylesheets package, most irritatingly called docbook too, contains
> a file 'catalog'. Might that be the right one?

CATALOG is a generated text file.  It contains a list of document element
names (I think that's what they're called, the things like
"-//Davenport//DTD DocBook V3.0//EN"), and their corresponding files.
When you install new SGML stuff, you're supposed to add appropriate lines
in this file.  All decent SGML tools should add the lines automatically
when you follow their install directions.

Best of Luck,
-Gleef