Re: Session Management

On Mon, Mar 22, 1999 at 02:49:17PM +0000, Pedro Corte-Real wrote:

> On Dom, 21 Mar 1999 15:29:11 Geoff Harrison mandrake" wrote:
> > On Sun, Mar 21, 1999 at 12:21:19PM +0000, Pedro Corte-Real wrote:
> > > I just added
> > >
> > > rm -f ~/.gnome/session &
> > >
> > > to my .xinitrc. This disables session managment completely. If you want it to remember things from (only) the last session put it after gnome-session else just put it before and gnome-session won't restart any apps.
> > >

> > actually, putting the "&" in there could result in the directory not being
> > clean by the time the session manager starts up.  you should take that out.
> >

> But if I do that the script will stop at that line won't it?

the script only stops when you "exec".  it will pause at that line, however,
until the act is finished.  which is desirable because you want to get rid of
all those lines.  This actually brings up an interesting point about people
putting a lot of
"exec sdfsdfsdfsdf &"
lines in their .xinitrc, .xsession, etc... files.
exec is used to exec() the new application under the same process id (freeing
up the old shell process that was hanging around running your app.
why?  who knows...

--