gnome/e has died

Well, I had it running A-OK (had to make it from tarballs to get away from
those nasty frame_register_info errors) and decided to try a theme from
e.themes.org.  It died with a really funny error message, and I think icewm
took over.  So I ran gnomecc to get E back up, but then it froze.  Had to
kill it from another console.

Now, when I startx, gnome starts OK, but no wm.  I can get E (or Window
Maker) to run if I make a .xinitrc and put the appropriate calls in it,
but I want gnome-session to run everything, like it should.

Should I try zapping my ~/.gnome directory?  My ~/.enlightment dir?  None?
Both?  Something else?

Ray Clouse                                  I'M HAPPY BECAUSE I EAT LARD.
Cypress, CA USA
Ray.Clouse AT boeing.com
rclouse AT atdot.org