Re: a funny thing happened - gnome's replacement of important files.

> From: hitch <hitchhiker@cybermail.net>

> ....  interestingly enough, however, gnome replace
> linuxconf with its own program.  this is hardly upsetting in and of
> itself, except that this program that was perfectly fine on its own, has
> been replaced by one that does not work due to the tangled mass of
> incomprehensible libraries that it cannot find.

I could be wrong, but it was my understanding that there is but the one
"linuxconf".  If you happen to call it with $DISPLAY set, it runs in its GNOME/X
implementation.  If not, it runs in its curses/terminal implementation.  And
finally, if you switch it on, it can be got at through a web page, too.

But nothing has replaced anything, unless I'm much mistaken.  If you're having
trouble with getting it to run under X, try unseting the $DISPLAY variable in
the terminal you try to run it from?

Ta,

-------My opinion - Not sane, intelligent or necessarily useful-------
o o                                      mailto:Moredhel@earthling.net
/v\ark R. Bowyer.  http://i.am/Moredhel  mailto:Mark.Bowyer@UK.Sun.COM
`-'  "That weenie's avoiding me!" - Scott McNealy about i.am/BillZebub