Drag into directories(folders)

There is one (and only one) feature that I like in MacOS. That is that you
can drag files to a directory and it will open up a file browser if you
don't release the mouse button. This allows DNDing of files whithought
having to open up multiple windows beforehand.

A similar idea is this:  On the panel menu, I put a symlink to my ~
directory (as a prototype) this gives me a folder with a list of my ~'s
sub directories in it, giving access to all my subdirectories f~ below ~.
As it is it is useless because I don't see my files, but if this could be
set up with files so that you could click the file to open it with the
default thing, or click an open with GMC or run terminal here, or click a
program to run it. does this sound like a decent idea?

--Ben