Re: Isn't it time for a newsgroup^H^H^H^H digest?

On 29 Mar 1999, Marius Vollmer wrote:
> mark@hoist.nlcomm.com writes:
>
> > How about a list digest first?
>
> I don't know how digests really work (I'm not reading any), but how
> suited are they for discussing things, compared to just summarizing
> announcements?

Bad for active discussion, but they are great for the lurkers who are to
timid to post anyway.  I don't think anyone wants the entire list to turn
into a digest, but if the mailing list software offers it as an option,
many would be interested.

> The behaviopur of a mailing list is fine, it's just that news can deal
> better with the volume.  For me, using gnus, mailing lists and news
> are about the same anyway, only that inn is better at handling large
> volumes than gnus` nnml backend.

The trouble with newsgroups is that it is very difficult to keep out
undesirables.  Since I have signed on to this mailing list, I have seen
only one piece of spam sneak on.  I don't know of any newsgroups that have
a record like that.

-Gleef