Re: gmc & cursors

>  Why did the implementors of the GNOME file manager choose the explorer
>  type model?  I much prefer the two paned approach that midnight
>  commander has.  I would at least like to be able to configure the
>  directory pane into another file pane.  Is this possible?

If you open two windows, gmc will behave pretty much like the standard
mc -- the default destination for file operations will be the "other"
panel and such.

>  The other thing that would be nice is a  "SymLink to Desktop..." type
>  option from gmc right mouse menu.  It doesn't take long to pollute your
>  panel with application so it would be nice to be able to easily drop a
>  link to them on the desktop.  (If their already is an easy way please
>  let me know cause I have been creating symbolic links and then dragging
>  them to the desktop)

You can drag files and drop them on the desktop.  If you want to
create symlinks to them, you can press ctrl+shift while you are
dragging, or you can drag using the middle mouse button and select the
appropriate action from the menu.

>  Auto-mount facilities within gmc would also be something that I would
>  find useful.  I realize that their is an applet for doing that but I
>  think it would be more logical to put that functionality into the gnome
>  file manager.

Gmc already does this.  If your /etc/fstab contains entries with the
"user" option set, you can select "Rescan mountable devices" from the
popup menu in the desktop and gmc will create icons for those
file systems.

>  The other thing which is a small thing but I think would improve things
>  is to use an hourglass (or equivalent) cursor while programs are
>  whether the program is actually loading.  Some sort of visual feedback
>  would be of great benefit.

To do this right, you need notification from the programs.  To do it
hackishly, you need cooperation from the window manager.

  Federico