language issues

Hi,

Since I have not been able to find the  answer in the Gnome FAQ, maybe
I'll have more chance on this mailing-list.

My problem is the following : I have several users  on my machine, all
speaking  a   different language.       Mainly French,   English   and
Norwegian. I've been looking all over the users'  manual, the FAQ, but
did not find   a  proper answer  to  the   question "how  to  set  the
language?".

As I am not completely without  Unix experience, I  figured out that I
had to setup the  LANG variable to the proper  value. On top of  that,
I'm  using  GDM as a  login manager,  which  allows me   to choose the
language  I want.   But  I still have  a problem.   If  I want  to use
Norwegian, for example, my system accepts "Norwegian", "no" or "no_NO"
as valid values. What shall I choose ? All these values have different
effects, going from crashing gmc for "no_NO", to almost-OK translation
for "Norwegian", except for the panel menus,  and so on... Is there an
absolute way of telling what value to use for what language ?

Cheers,
Edouard