Re: Are GNOME apps _supposed_ to open slowly?

In message <3735C6C4.24E14577@fadata.bg>, "Momchil 'Velco' Velikov" writes:
+-----
| man strace ;-)
|
| then
|
| strace gnome-terminal
|
| (or whatever starts slowly) and then there is a good chance that you'll
| see
| where the process spends a lot of time. Maybe on some read/write on a
| socket,
+--->8

There also exists a program "ltrace" which traces library calls (shared
library entry points, I believe).  Whereas strace can't show you that a
program is stuck in a library routine that picked up a bogus parameter from
somewhere, ltrace might.  (ltrace also shows system calls)

http://www.etsit.upm.es/~cespedes/programming/ARCHIVES/ltrace_0.3.6.tar.gz
(The Debian archive shows an 0.3.7; I don't seem to be able to find a tarball
of it)

--
brandon s. allbery	[os/2][linux][solaris][japh]	 allbery@kf8nh.apk.net
system administrator	     [WAY too many hats]	   allbery@ece.cmu.edu