animated icons/applets?

Does anyone know if it's possible to use animated icons
on the desktop?  It's possible to have a panel applet use
animated PNG files (mailcheck for example), but I haven't
been able to figure out how to get a simple desktop
icon to boogy/shake/sit and spin/etc.  I tried setting the icon
properties to an animated PNG file, but no luck, I think
IMlib doesn't know how to deal with multiple frames?
I also tried defining my own mimetype so that the icon would
animate by default, that didn't work either.

any suggestions?

cheers,
Joshua Weitz