gnome (almost hanging, but not quite)....

I finally figured out how to get my ethernet card to behave when I move
my laptop from work to home.

This causes the ethernet address of the ethernet controller to change...

After doing this, trying to start a new gnome-terminal would take a LONG
time (several minutes); similarly, a log out operation was taking forever.

Interestingly, gnome-terminal would start, but after a delay (measured
in minutes).

Killing gnome-session manually and logging back in clears the problem.

Theory:

This smells like a TCP timeout, induced by the address/nameserver
reconfiguration caused by the change of location and dhcp reassignment.

				- Jim