Re: Choice of languages

James Green <gnome@cyberstorm.demon.co.uk> el día Wed, 19 May 1999 00:23:29
+0100 (BST), escribió:

>Hi,
>
>I wish to direct this question directly at those who are core GNOME
>developers:
>
>Why choose C, and not C++?

thanks God for me that Gnome and Gtk are done in C.

having the headers in C I can translate (make bindings or wrappers)
_relatively_ easy (it seems that a little petition of help has been
rejected) to my favorite languaje (pascal) and I can code using Gtk
and Gnome in my lovely languaje.
(now, if not where by those obnoxious 'identifier : 1' ...)
I suppose that Python, Perl, Obj-C, C++, etc, etc can say almost
the same.

>I am a 2nd year undergrad in BSc Comp Sci, and the vast majority of our
>code is taught in C++. The C part is relatively small, but the C++ OOP
>extensions such as classes, inheritance, templates and suchlike have been
>heavily covered and are the basis for our programming examinations and
>assignments. With such educational interest in OOP especially (I found it
>hard to think in such terms initially, but now find i hard to live without
>it) I cann't help but ask the rationale behind NOT using OOP/C++.

Gtk and Gnome follow a OOP design (ok, is failing in minor areas),
look at the sources.

>I see many other apps for *ix are done in C rather than C++. So what am I
>missing???

you are missing the fact that C++ is not the only languaje in
the world.

Sergio