Re: The State Of The Art

Hey, if you have the hardware, use it. While Linux as a whole has been
very conscious to being useable both on old hardware as well as new, it
doesn't mean a project such as this should be limited by old hardware.
Just label it Pentium II or better.

>  To preserve the illusion of space (so that you can remember where your
> windows are), movement between areas of the... um... work surface is going to
> need to be animated (ie you see the sphere spinning around you rather than
> "jumping" from one area to another). I imagine this would place some heavy
> demands on your hardware... any thoughts, E users?  ;)

"Gravity" could be programmed in with the viewer ballasted to right
himself upon arriving. That or make the environment with no up or down
orientation - truely unfettered 3D. Then you can make selected windows
automatically re-orient to your particular orientation...

>  Also, if you're going to have freedom of movement in three dimensions you
> have the possibility of windows ending up upside down (spin 180 degrees
> horizontally, then 180 degrees vertically... you're back where you started
> but the other way up).

Change is always painfull and hard. However, not to change leads to
apathy and lack of progress. Just how much more functionality can we
squeeze out of a two dimensional desktop. While this may not be the most
appropriate forum to discuss this, GNOME could play a big part in this
future GUI - Gnomites are rebels and creative after all, anything can
happen...

Mike