several problems/queries

I've got several problems/queries so heres the first one.

I recentely tried to install the "latest" gnome [all of the ones available] packages for my suse system but i'm not too confident that they were installed, so is there anyway to check the version number [also what is the version number of the "latest" gnome thingy]?

I've also been trying to update enlightenment but i keep on getting the same [well similar] error all the time, the error is as follows

checking host system type... i586-pc-linux-gnuoldld
checking for gcc... no
checking for cc... no
Configure: error: no acceptable cc found in $PATH

The reason why i've been trying to update enlightment is so i can fix a rather strange problem i have were the windows are lacking any thing to move, close or iconize and they are also [usually] forced up to the top-left hand corner, any1 have any thoughts on this.

The last thing is just a query, i've noticed that you can get back to the main console [the place b4 x is activated] by pressing ctrl + alt + F? but i can't get back in any1 know how to do this?

Thanks for reading this far, LordHelmet

P.S. I can't seem to find a decent site that contains a respectable amount of freeware or one that is easy to navigate, so i was thinking if any1 has a few minutes to spare they might want to write a review [about 50-200] words on their favorite freeware program for my freeware site http://booplets.cjb.net.
Currentely it is pretty much all microsoft platform based but i'm willing to put programs for ANY platform among them.