Spec files

Anyone have any links to web sites that go over how to
make a spec file? I really like building my own rpms,
using either the one supplied in a tar ball or in a
source rpm. But sometimes thoses spec files just won't
build. For example, I can compile the new WindowMaker
no prob, but when trying to build an rpm from a source
rpm, just won't build. If I can modify or just make my
own spec file, especially for tar balls that don't
come with spec file, would be nice.

mm