Re: RPMs

You can check to see if the install went correctly with the command
"rpm -qi pkgname" (just the base part of the package name is needed --
not the version, release, etc parts).  This should print out some
information about the package.

If the program does not provide a menu entry, you can find out what it
installed with the command "rpm -ql pkgname".  Any files in /usr/bin are
probably executables, so you could try running one of those from the
command line.

If you prefer a bit of feedback when installing packages with rpm (by
default, it only prints something on failure), use "rpm -ivh" instead of
just "rpm -i" and "rpm -Uvh" instead of "rpm -U".

James.

--
Email: james@daa.com.au
WWW:   http://www.daa.com.au/~james/