Re: Gnome PPP dial-up problems

> From: flagg@goodnet.com
> Date: Fri, 26 Nov 1999 08:33:12 -0700 (MST)
>
> i am experiencing the _same_ problem. and i always have.
>
> actually, i take that back. i did get it working once a LONG time ago, but
> i honestly forget how i did it. try running gnome-ppp as root and see if it
> gives you the same error. if it doesnt at least you know its probably a
> permission problem.
>
> -shawn.
>

> > Well, I did the setuid on pppd (which is located at /usr/sbin/ not just /sbin) but
> > as soon as I click on "connect" I get the error that the "pppd daemon has died"
> > pap-secrets seems fine also, besides I wouldn't expect that to cause a problem
> > until I was trying to authenticate. This is immediate, upon pressing connect. :-(
> > could the location of pppd be the problem? Gnome-ppp looking for it at /sbin while
> > it's really at /usr/sbin?
> >
> > Jonathan

<snip>

I've been using gnome-ppp for a long time w/o any problems.  What does
seem to be necessary to use it is having an empty /etc/ppp/options
file (this is mentioned in the README file for gnome-ppp).  The other
things to check (and may already have been mentioned in this thread):

1. pppd needs to be suid to use it as a regular user

2. the permisions on the file that /dev/modem links to may need to be
644 (it may not since pppd is suid, but it won't hurt if all your
users should have access to the modem).

3. the pap-secrets file should contain your username and password for
the ISP and have permissions 600

Hope this helps.

Dave