Re: Graphics software

Hi Eric,

Thanks for your advice, effort and time.

> The GIMP rocks, it only does raster-images, however it has a plugin that
> allows you to insert (and edit) vector layers and is part of the main

distrobution................................................................
....... Plug-in
> software... there is plenty for the GIMP, most of it is already with the
> gimp already but there is some that isn't in the distrobution

Kindly advise where I can download filters for GIMP with similar feature
like Kai's Power Tools, AfterDark, etc., if possible with steps for their
installation or advising me where to find out relevant information, as I am
rather new to Linux environment with less than 2 months experience.

> For 3d.. the Blender is very good however it is much
> unlike every other 3d modeller; however, the learning curve is worth it
> as there is none like it currently for linux.

Are there 3-D software, like TrueSpace available for Linux?

> Maya is also available or
> will be available shortly. I haven't seen or used Kai's Slide show..
> there is a Premier-like video editting suite (which name escapes me)
> that mixed with the gimp can do slide shows VERY well.

Thanks for your information re Maya.  Kai's Slide Show is for assorting
photos to run them automatically as slide with add-in filters, narration,
music, etc.

> Flash, there is a
> linux port :) HTML writing software.. use VIM or Emacs, there is wysiwyg
> stuff i heard but I wouldn't know (i actually KNOW html and all it's
> extensions). For animations, use the above mentioned premier-like
> program and/or the gimp.

Flash is a powerful tool for animation on web.  Are there any similar
software for Linux?  Have you had any idea where to find information in WWW
(for running on Linux) in this respect including HTML editing software
similar to Hotdog, Hot Metal?

> Cafe for JAVA ?? well if it is programed in
> JAVA it will run under Linux (unless it uses MS_JAVA).

I am looking for software like Symantec Visual cofe for JAVA running on
Linux.  Thanks

B.R.
Stephen Liu
email: satimis@writeme.com