RE: Gnome-terminal problems in RH 6.1

On 15-Oct-99 Sean Murphy wrote:
> they compiled it under (it's a module).  My brother in law (who knows a
> bit more about Linux than I do) told me to put some command (think it
> was something like 'insmod -f sblive' or maybe 'modprobe sblive')
> somewhere and that got it to work.  Unfortunately, I can't remember what
> the actual command was, or where we put it.  Any ideas?  Also, I have a
> dual processor motherboard, and Creative Labs says the driver won't work
> under an SMP kernel.  Does this make sense?  I think the RH 6.1 install
> put an SMP kernel back into lilo, so maybe that is the problem?

        Most likely, it was the "insmod -f sblive" command that you
used. It does, indeed, make sense that the sound driver might not be
supported in SMP. OSS has separate releases of their sound drivers
for SMP Linux. It has something to do with the fact that one processor
is better able to handle I/O than the other one is. For more info on
this, check the SMP Linux web sites. They're mentioned somewhere in
the Linux Documentation Project site, which is at:

http://metalab.unc.edu/mdw/

        According to OSS's web site, they will not be supporting
the SBLive board any time soon, because Creative has not provided
enough information about the board for the drivers to be written.
There may be a free driver available somewhere that I don't know
about, but it looks like you're dependent on Creative for the
time being.

Date: 15-Oct-99  Time: 11:09:55

Craig Orsinger                  (email: <orsingerc@epg-gw1.lewis.army.mil>)
Logicon RDA
Bldg. 8B28                      "Just another megalomaniac with ideas above his
6th & F Streets                 station. The Universe is full of them."
Ft. Lewis, WA   98433                   - The Doctor