Re: Figured out my sound problems with Gnome and esd

On Sat, 16 Oct 1999, Dan Hensley wrote:

> On my system, ESPEAKER was not set (never had been before, never needed it before).
> So esd_open_sound was looking for ESPEAKER, not finding it, then looking at my
> DISPLAY (set to my fully qualified local machine name)

This is incorrect - on the local machine, you should leave the hostname
out of $DISPLAY so UNIX sockets will be used (they are faster than
localhost TCP/IP :).

Putting all sorts of special cases into esound is probably not the right
solution here (although I don't think that libesd should look at $DISPLAY
in the first place. Oh well...).

-- Elliot					http://developer.gnome.org/
The first thing a programmer needs to admit is that any program is by far
more complex than his own mind. Thats why he partitions it into neat
pieces and avoids complexity.