Re: panel

The "Panel Test" program which happens also to be called "panel" you see
comes from the wxgtk-examples package and has nothing to do with gnome
(it just happens to be first in path).
Either uninstall the package or rearange your path.
In addition if you want to start gnome just like any other windowmanager
or kde, create a file /usr/X11R6/bin/gnome which contains the line:

exec gnome-session

and make it executable.
Now you can start gnome using "startx gnome" or set the WINDOWMANAGER
enviroment variable to gnome and do just startx.

Jan