Re: The magic of dingus-clicking

On Wed, Oct 27, 1999 at 06:49:01PM +0800 or thereabouts, James Henstridge wrote:
> The code used to open the URL reads the user's prefered browser using
> gnome-config (ie. the files in the ~/.gnome directory), which caches
> results.  This means the second time you activate a URL it will use the
> command it found the first time you activated a URL.

Aha. And opening a new terminal means that new terminal goes and looks
at it and sees the change?

> I guess Havoc's GConf work should help with this.  It provides a daemon
> which is contacted by programs to read and write configuration info.  It
> should be much better about noticing updates of this sort.  This does not
> really help you right now, but it should work how you expect in the
> future.

Oh, is that what GConf is? :) Cool. It sounds great. Thanks very much.

I have discovered that it is easy to add ftp to the list of things
it notices. For some reason, gftp hangs on me (it -says- it's doing
passive mode, but I am beginning to wonder. Or maybe I'm just using
it wrong). But ncftp works fine for me. As with lynx, you need to
run ncftp in a terminal of some sort, or it decides it's supposed to
be on a different virtual console :) And it will only work for ftp
urls which end in a directory rather than a file. It expects you to
use a related program (ncftpget) for single files. I would think that
this is an ncftp problem (feature?) rather than a Gnome one, though.

Telsa