Re: Slightly offtopic - ORBit and CORBA and IBM's MQ Series

On Wed, 27 Oct 1999, FALLON,DAVID JOSEPH wrote:

> This is a bit offtopic, but gnome (should :) has it's share of CORBA
> experts - I was doing some research into middleware and messaging
> solutions for my company, and was looking at IBM's MQ Series software
> packages, trying to figure out what they do. From what I could get,
> they're basically the same idea as CORBA - and I was curious if I'm going
> in the right direction there, or if I'm completely off. While we're going
> in that direction, is CORBA really a messaging solution, or just a way to
> do remote code calling? (or is there something else I'm missing?)

(Bear in mind that my picture of "messaging" and "middleware" is very
foggy.)

You could build a messaging system on top of CORBA, but CORBA itself is
just a component glue that lets remote clients make request of objects
(aka OO-RPC).

-- Elliot
for you are crunchy and good with ketchup.