Re: session management

>> I'm curious to know why you want your program to be run even after
>> the user decides not to save the session.

iain> It's for the GNOME Update Manager so that everytime the user
iain> logs on, it is run to tell people if there's any new software
iain> has been added. The problem I'm having is that if the user runs
iain> it 4 times in one session, it adds itself to the restart
iain> everytime, so when the user saves the session, it starts 4 times
iain> when the user starts up.

This is a separate problem, I think.

This is a problem we faced in a different (but similar) form when
writing the original property dialogs (before the control center
existed).  The approach we took to solve it then was to have the first
instance of a property dialog (at session startup) set a property on
the server.  The first such property dialog to set the property got to
run; the others noticed that they didn't get it an exited.

In your case you have to be careful to only do this when starting from
a saved session.  The user should probably be able to run this program
by hand as many times as he wants.

The property-grabbing code is probably still in gnomeui, but I haven't
looked.  (There might be a better way to solve this problem.  Some
people didn't like this approach, but I don't remember their
objections.)

If the user decides not to save, just take his word for it.  There's
no reason to try to force him to run this program.  He might have
chosen not to save precisely because he doesn't want to run it.

Tom