Gnome broke.

Okay, need help here.  I seem to have broken gnome.  Let me preface thius
by saying it _was_working fine.  In the meantime, I installed (actually,
just got the driver compiled) a network card and also had a few inodes go
loopy on me.  Fsck reported it worked everything, but who knows.  I usually
do a "startx" to get into gnome, but this is what I am getting now:

_FontTransSocketUNIXConnect: Can't connect: errno = 111

Failed to set default font path 'unix: -1'

Fatal server error:
could not open default font 'fixed'

I am still VERY new at X and the like, although have been using linux for
over 2 years.  I really don't have a clue as to what has happened, and yes
I have been looking at FAQs, HOWTO's etc., but can't figure this out.

Your help is appreciated.

Thanks,
Matt Nelson N5TKN
admin@nccinternet.com