Re: Why oh why is Gnome eating my panel! (Frustration == MAX)

the panel always loses any mods i make to it.  every time, 100% of the
time.  nothing i do makes it better, even turning on the automatic
session saving.  i've even asked for help on this list multiple time,
but nobody has been able to help.  =8[
<<<

This happened to me when I changed my ISP
The problem was because I hadn't set up my hosts file correctly to include a
reference to localhost or to my computers new name
The problem was discovered because the session manager printed "Host name
lookup failure on localhost." when X was starting.

This is how my /etc/hosts file looks
127.0.0.1  localhost localhost.localdomain
127.0.0.1  nodata.freeserve.co.uk tigermilk.outside.net
localhost  127.0.0.1
nodata.freeserve.co.uk 127.0.0.1
tigermilk.outside.net 127.0.0.1

change the nodata.freeserve.co.uk and the tigermilk.outside.net to whatever.
This may fix it.

Iain