Change of hostname

Hi,

I am completely new to Linux so you will have to forgive my ignorance.

I have recently installed the Red Hat 6 distribution on my Intel PC.  The
installation went fine and I have been playing around to familiarize myself
with Linux.  I then decided to change the hostname of my PC via the netcfg
program.  This seemed to work OK until I rebooted and tried to logon via the
graphical logon screen.  I got a message saying that it was trying to
resolve the Internet address for my PC.  This had never happened before and
after quite a while it told me that it couldn't find it, and that Gnome
would not function properly.  It also said that I could fix it by adding the
name of my PC to the etc/hosts file, but it was already there.

I had already set up all the networking aspects of my PC during the install
and they were working fine.

I am sorry if this is not specifically a Gnome problem, but due to my lack
of knowledge, this was the first place I started.

Thanks in advance
Lee