panel-client? (Re: GNU Midnight Commander 4.5.39 is released)

Federico Mena Quintero wrote:

> 	- MC now has a new CORBA interface and a nifty `gmc-client'
>           program that you can call from the command line to ask MC to
>           do interesting stuff.  You can open new windows, validate
>           existing windows, rescan the desktop, and make coffee (no
>           espresso for now).

Could we have a same thing for panel? So one could bind some magic key to
something like "panel-client --open-foot-menu" in his favorite window manager.
Distributions which include GNOME could have bound that to for instance menu
key with their "default" GNOME window manager.

Question "how to open foot menu with keyboard?" reappears every period of time
on gnome-list/gnome-gui-list. If we could have it in 1.0.50 we would avoid
another half year of same question until GNOME 1.2/2.0 comes out (assuming this
issue would be addressed until then).

Keep up the great work guys,

-- BlackWine