Re: Gnome pixmaps (SuSE & Gnome)

On Sat, 25 Sep 1999, Andreas Simon wrote:

> I, too, had this problem with various SuSE versions.
> SuSE means KDE, they don't give a damn about a proper
> GNOME installation. It seems this is not because of
> incompetence, but rather a reason of will.
>
> They call for beta testers in the KDE mailinglist for their
> KDE packages but don't do the same for Gnome.
> This speaks for itself.

After testing SuSE 4.2 I changed to Debian and I'm really happy with it. I
know other using SuSE and only can say it is definitely broke. They NEVER
managed to build proper GNOME (and Enlightenment) packages and call
themselves 'professional'. In 6.2 they still give a warning like 'GNOME is
ALPHA and unstable' if you select the packages for installation. GNOME is
running STABLE for more than a year for me and I always use the CVS-HEAD
Branch.
The best solution is to use Debian or Red-Hat instead. But this is very
difficult here in Germany.
Germany = SuSE = KDE.
It's a shame.

Cheers, Martin.