Gnome under Solaris 7

Greetings --

I'm a long time Gnome/Sawmill user, but have recently been moved to a
Solaris system at work (from the Linux box I was running at my previous
job). I'd like to get Gnome/Sawmill running, so that I can be in my
preferred environment, and the systems people are okay with that -- as long
as everything stays under my $HOME.

So, I'm trying to build Gnome, from source, as a non-root user, on Solaris
7. With help from <URL:http://www.clanger9.demon.co.uk/computer/gnome/>,
I've managed to get everything to build. Unfortunately, not everything
_works_. Many apps bomb out with messages along the lines of:

Gdk-ERROR **: BadMatch (invalid parameter attributes)

Anybody got any help for a Gnome-er who's getting really, really tired of
CDE?

john.