Re: window managers duplicating functions of GNOME

On Sun, Apr 23, 2000 at 12:38:31PM -0400 or thereabouts, Hugo Gayosso wrote:
> Dennis Lee <mudpup@telepath.com> writes:
> > What file should/can I remove move to erase all traces of Enlightenment.
>
> rpm -e enlightenment
>
> and there is also the configurator, but I don't remember the name of
> the rpm.

econf or some such name. Fairly obvious kind of name.>

> > Are there any Enlightenment (rpms) that should be left on the machine to
> > support some gnome function?
>
> NO.
> GNOME and Enlightenment are independent.

Well. Um. I don't know whether this still holds true, given that
someone was mentioning a dependency on "windowmanager" rather than
any one window manager in particular. But in the past, whilst upgrading
or installing GNOME onto a machine, I have met dependencies about
requiring enlightenment. I think that was only installing, but I
can't be sure. I do remember more than once putting enlightenment
on, then all the GNOME stuff, then removing enlightenment. And I
don't _install_ very much: I just keep upgrading and upgrading
things. So I have the impression it might have been required for
upgrades at one stage.

Certainly on older rpm-based systems (dunno about Debian, Slack,
or *BSD) you needed enlightenment present to install GNOME. You
could, however, safely remove it then. But whether you have to
put it back on to upgrade sometimes now, I don't know.

Telsa, in definitive mode, yes... um.