Gnome architecture: crashing apps lock up all of gnome

I'm having a problem that when an app crashes, no other gnome apps respond or
lauch.  I have to kill X and then kill all running gnome apps manually for the
system to restart.  I could not find docs to point me to log files or any other
diagnostic information.

I'd like to spend some time diagnosing my problem before sending off a bug
report.  Can anyone point me to any information about how gnome works,
specifically what happens when an application crashes and where I can look for
info about it?

On a philosphical note, is the gnome architecture such that all apps are tied
together and one app can prevent all others from responding/launching?

(Please respond to at least my email address, as I do not subscribe to the
mailing list)

Dave

--
David Copeland