Re: gnewbie: gnome 1.2 from rpm's and libjpeg.so.6

Before installation in the first place rpm doesn't look for
files in the file system but for entries in its database.
So in your case rpm can't find an entry in the rpm database
saying that the required libjpeg.so.6 is installed on your
system. The mere existence of libjpeg.so.6 on your HD doesn't
help much. You have two choices:

a) installing the gnome rpms with option --nodeps
   (not recommended)

b) getting everything the gnome rpms need as rpm.
   (recommended)
   Try getting something like libjpeg-6b-9.i386.rpm and
   install it.

Hope this helps.

-Hans-