Re: gnome terminal

On Sun, Aug 06, 2000 at 11:40:59PM -0300 or thereabouts, rob smith wrote:
> I have a gnome terminal problem..I can use it as root but when I run it
> as a reg user it crashes.  I looked for an rpm to reinstall it but didn't
> find on.  Any suggestions??

rpm -qf will tell you the name of the package owning a file. Putting in
backticks will make the shell take the output of what's in the backticks.
which will tell you the full path to a file.

Hence
$ rpm -qf `which gnome-terminal`
gnome-core-1.1.8.1-1

(Yeah, I'm behind the times)

Anyway, it's gnome-core. But simply re-installing an rpm is not going
to fix a problem. It might in some cases (some people who find that files
mysteriously disappear from gettext after doing 'make uninstall' on
CVS stuff re-install the gettext rpm regularly, for example), but in
general it's not a fix.

Try opening an xterm or something and running gnome-terminal from
that to see what the error messages are. If it crashes and leaves a
core, you could try bug-buddy, which will attempt to generate useful
(if unintelligible :)) information.

Also try making a test user and running GNOME and gnome-terminal as
that. If it works for that, then perhaps something has gone screwy
in your Terminal file in your .gnome/ directory (a guess). Moving or
removing that file might fix it.

Telsa