RE: serious problem--help

It sounds like you run as root all the time. That is you
first and biggest mistake. It caused some
of the problems your having. I suspect there is no
fix for your current situation as files have been deleted
by your actions. If the worst you got was losing your preferences
you got off easy.

To prevent in future
1) DO NOT RUN AS ROOT.
2) if you must run as root to fix something try not to run X
3) If you system locks up try hitting SHIFT-CTRL-F2 to get to
another screen so you can kill X. (assuming you could not shut down
another way).