Re: How to suppress the annoying warning message for gmc??

At 02:16 PM 8/21/2000 -0700, Daniel Lyddy wrote:
> > On 17-Aug-00 Tom Gilbert wrote:
> > > The "su" command is for logging in as root... Why do you need to run X
> > > and gmc and all the gnome applications as root though?
>
>Because I *want* to.  And I am the master of my machine, not the other
>way around.  I've made an informed decision based on my appraisal of the
>potential risks and rewards, and I don't need to be second-guessed by my
>OS or its applications.
>
> > > It's a shame if that warning is now disableable... If I had written that
> > > code, it would've shown the message then quit if UID==0 ;-)
>
>This cavalier I'm-the-developer-and-I-know-better-than-my-users attitude
>has no place in the Open Source movement.  If this is really how you
>feel, I strongly suggest you move to Redmond and take a job from Mister
>Bill.

I think we've beat this thing to death, but I just couldn't resist replying to
that last comment.   IMHO this is exactly what is GOOD about Open Source...the
developer has an idea about how an app should run, but you ARE FREE TO change
the app to your own liking because the SOURCE is distributed!