Re: rpms probles

On Wed, 23 Aug 2000 00:11:37 Craig Orsinger wrote:

> On 21-Aug-00 Gary Shears wrote:
> > And is a required intermediary for upgrading to rpm v.4. Unfortunately, I
> > didn't see the Redhat announcement before Helix came out with v4, and now
> > can't do --rebuilddb.
> >
> > Does anyone know the risks of 'rpm -uvF rpm.305' over
> > version 4 (emphasis on the 'F')? Rpm is one thing I can't afford to have
> > break.
> > I posted to linux.redhat.rpm and got no response.
>
>         I went through a similar experience with the Rawhide
> version of RPM 4. I installed the RawH version over, I believe
> rpm 3.0.3, and tried to do a --rebuilddb. It failed eventually,
> so I rewrote the old version. In my case, it worked, but I'd
> recommend backing up your system before you try it.

I had a similar experience. I installed the rawhide v4.0, did a
--rebuilddb (which appeared to succeed) and then tried to use it
(rpm -qa). It then complained because it found the old-style
database files in /var/lib/*.rpm. So I moved them out of the way
(to a safe place...) and tried again, and everything seems to work
OK now.