Re: Using ALT in applications

In message <Pine LNX 3 96 1001127235722 13420A-100000 tarot mentasm org>, ferre
t phonewave net writes:

>Under Debian anyway, and I would THINK other dists as well, but.... the
>104 key keyboard is already mapped similarly. The 'Alt' keys generate
>ALT_L and ALT_R, left micros~1 generates Meta_L, and I think right
>micros~1 generates Multi_Key but I have it mapped to Meta_R and use the
>menu key for Multi_Key.

>Now the other question is which of the unnamed Mod bits gets to be
>dedicated to which set of keys. Basic X specification doesn't say; it's
>only general consensus that ALT uses Mod1 and Meta uses Mod4.. There just
>aren't enough modifier bits for real Space Cadet keyboards. ;/

The easiest way for US/Canadian users to set things up is to just disable all
of the Xkb options in the "Keyboard" section of your XF86Config except for

XkbModel "microsoft"

Effectively, this makes the Windows keys work properly so you can do things
like map them under Sawfish.  (I have the logo key mapped to the run button and
the menu key mapped to the "foot" menu).

The Xkb configuration possibilities in XF86Config appear to be completely
undocumented (where they should be, anyway, in the man page for XF86Config or
in /usr/lib/X11/doc).

I also highly recommend taking look at xkeycaps, which can tell you if X is set
up properly for your keyboard.

John

--
John GOTTS <jgotts linuxsavvy com>  http://www.linuxsavvy.com/staff/jgotts