Re: gnome-lib and Solaris 7x86

> Yeah, I know about depot.  For me and my 4 paths' it's not really
> necessary.  And I agree that it gives you an inordinate amount of
> flexibility, and the only problem is getting used to the configure/
> install dance you have to do.  It makes a lot of sense.  But in the
> terms of distributing pre-packaged software, I don't need to worry
> about it.  I surely don't want to require people who want to use
> prepackaged software to have to install/learn depot.

Well... We don't like pre-packages software. If the source is available we
rebuild it for ourselvs. So basically I've built every package on a
standard Linux installation for our Solaris boxes. Each packages goes into
makes it really easy to pop a new version of any package in. Want to drop
in a new version of GDB? just build in change a confige line and re-run
depot. newly built package not working correct? Revert to old by editing
one line in the depot.pref and re-run depot.

Being that everything has been hand-built by the sysadmins we have a very
intement knowledge of exactly what is going on in our systems. :) Of
course the actual act of building everything sucks... :P

---
Bryan Whitehead
Email: driver rccacm org
WorkE: driver jpl nasa gov