updated and can't login

I just did an apt-get upgrade to helix-gnome unstable (I know) and the
computer speaker started chattering. The only way I could find to stop
it was to restart using ctl-alt-backspace. Now the gnome login appears
but when I login it just reapppears after a few seconds. If I select
debian or X I can login.

Help!

--
"If ye love wealth better than liberty, the tranquility of servitude
better than the animating contest of freedom, go home from us in