Compiling GNOME on Solaris

Hi Everyone,

Someone from this list sent me a mail message yesterday requesting help
with compiling GNOME on Solaris.  I accidentally deleted the message.
Could the person who sent it to me, please re-send the message?  I would
be more than happy to help you get GNOME running on Solaris.  I had to
get it all compiled again on my Solaris 2.5.1 machine at work just
yesterday.

The first thing that I would suggest is that you check out the
following URL

	http://www.clanger9.demon.co.uk/computer/gnome/

It has a lot of useful information that is specific to Solaris.
Compiling the applications is not the problem, it is making sure that
you have the right tools in your PATH.

My second suggestion is that you get X11R6.4 for Solaris.  If your
station is as colour management challenged as mine, you will want to
install this package and be sure to compile all applications against
it.  Make sure it appears in your LD_LIBRARY_PATH before any paths that
begin with /usr/openwin.

Another suggestion is that you get the development versions (1.1.2) of
gnome-core and gnome-applets.  I installed these over gnome-core-1.0.55
and I have found that they are more stable on Solaris than any of their
predecessors.

Get in touch with me if you need any more help.

Bidemi Temidire