gnome-config --libs xml doesn't work..

I'm having a problem with gnome-core.  It's failing on xml because
configure is depending on gnome-config --libs xml to actually output
something.  When I compiled the latest and greatest version of gnome-libs
it compiled with no problems.  How do you make sure that when it compiles
it will allow you to do gnome-config --libs xml?

I looked in the macros directory which is the only directory I could see
that does anything remotely with xml.  But I have no idea what to do with
the m4 macros..

	sri