Re: error building balsa

(Most of this message applies to Red Hat.)

On Sat, Feb 19, 2000 at 09:20:04AM +0000 or thereabouts, Paul Lewis wrote:
> When I try to install balsa at the stage where I ./configure it starts
> but then errors reporting that glib is not installed. And advises that
> Gnome requires glib I am writing this in Netscape under Gnome at the
> moment so I assume it must be present on the system somewhere.
>
> Help and suggestions please.

You don't say what system you're running. I wonder if it's Red Hat
Linux?

Red Hat splits many packages into package.rpm and package-devel.rpm.
You only need to install the package-devel.rpm if you are going to
build other programs which depend on that package. The thingy-devel
package contains the files required to build programs which rely
on package thingy. If you're the sort of person who just wants to
install a system and go, so to speak, and won't be adding new things
other than more binary rpms, then you don't need the devel packages.
If you are going to compile stuff, you will.

So I have glib-1.2.6-2 on my machine along with glib-devel-1.2.6-2.
As you say, if you are running GNOME currently, you must have glib
around somewhere. Perhaps you need glib-devel, too.

> > I see the following when configuring balsa :
> > checking for gnomeConf.sh file in /usr/local/lib... not found
> > configure: error: Could not find the gnomeConf.sh file that is
> > generated by gnome-libs install
> > Does anybody know the package I need to obtain gnomeConf.sh ?

On my RH system:

$ rpm -qf /usr/lib/gnomeConf.sh
gnome-libs-devel-1.0.55-6

(Yes, another -devel package :))

I am curious. Is this the tarball from http://www.balsa.net, btw?
I got that a while ago, and had completely unrelated problems building
it.  I have the docbook tools on my system and, seeing those, Balsa
decided to use them to (re)generate the help stuff. There were two
tiny errors in the docbook file which made jade give up, which then
aborted the make. I got around that, and I am told it was fixed in CVS,
but I was using the 0.6 tarball. Has anyone else seen this, or was it
just me?

Telsa