Re: a very simple question re: time

On Tue, Feb 22, 2000 at 12:31:24AM -0800 or thereabouts, Joseph de los Santos wrote:
> hello,
>   My question is a relatively very simple one, how do I configure the date
> and time in the gnome panel?
> thanks.

The time in the clock(s) in the GNOME panel is derived from the system
time: the same thing that you see when you type 'date' in a terminal.

Because it affects the whole system, you have to be root to change
this. You do it with the 'date' command.

When you're root, you can type 'date (then a list of numbers)' and it
will reset the date and time for the computer. The list of arguments
you want is in 'man date' (and yes, it's a bit long...)

I'm having trouble interpreting the man page for getting it right
first time. Whilst I will cheerfully wreck my clock, I'm a bit
chary of suggesting the format for other people to wreck theirs.
Perhaps someone can provide the exactly-correct format to use? :)

Telsa