Re: Request: Test suite for EFS.

Let me just say in advance that I think EFS is the way to go.

What if the user happens to use some other graphic-shell-tool
besides Nautilus?  What if they decide, for example, to use KDE as
their desktop environment but still want to run Gnumeric?  Or,
let's try a even more likely example.  Suppose the user is running
Netscape and wishes to attach a Gnumeric document to an email.  Netscape
(as
far as I know) doesn't know how to attach a directory.

While there are strong arguments for using a directory as a document,
I just don't see it as a sufficient solution.  No matter what, most
users would agree: a document _is_ a file.  Without totally dumbing
down the system, you can't make a directory a file.  Some app somewhere
will not understand and that will make the user unhappy.

>From the user point of view, I do not think it is unintuitive to
have an extra set of utilities (read: graphical utilites) that
allow you to access the contents of an EFS file.  Most users won't
need to do this; only the "expert" users will.  And, they will be
more likely to grasp the concept of the EFS file format.

Anyways, I've been listening to the discussions flying back-and-forth
on this topic, and I hope what I've said makes sense to people.  As
far as I'm concerned calling a directory a file is only going to
cause problems for the user.

Darin