Keyboard layout (was: Questions from new user)

> >   9. How do I select the keyboard "language"?
>
> Do you mean you want to type in characters from other languages
> on a keyboard that doesn't have the keys, that you want to remap
> the keyboard to a different layout, or that you want to change
> the language which Gnome talks to you?
>
> There is an entry in the Gnome FAQ (http://www.gnome.org/gnomefaq/)
> about the last of those under the title Internationalization and
> Localization at: http://www.gnome.org/gnomefaq/html/x867.html#AEN885
>
> I hope some of this helps.
>
> Telsa

I was referring to the keyboard layout in general and international keyboard
maps in particular. Since then I have discovered that there is an applet for
keyboard setup, and based on this I gather that setxkbmap and xmodmap are
both supported, but I'm still a bit confused. Can someone explain exactly
how the keyboard mapping mechanism works. In particular, what happens when I
log in?
--
Toralf Lund                     New Tel.#:+47 66 85 51 00
Kongsberg Scanners AS                     +47 66 85 51 01 (fax)