another logout problem

Regularly, There is a problem with logging in to gnome/enlightment - it takes
minutes and not seconds.  When this appends, a click on logout has no affect.
 I have to su to root and perform a shutdown -r 0.  When the login happens
immediately, the logout works ok.

What I would like is an explanation and failing that I want to now how to get
to the software to see what happens on a logout.  Clearly, gnome needs some
help on solving these minor difficulties and of course I want someone else to
solve this.  I know the path to enlightment is long and a few hints will be
appreciated.

This problem seem to occur when I added 256Megs to the memory.  Coincedence ?

Thanks,
Marty