User Security

I've set up a user that I always use to logon with. I did this using
"linuxconf" and tried to give that user "superuser" rights. It didn't work.
So now when I'm in X windows I can't seem to use any of the tools for
browsing dirs because I don't have root access. Is there a way to click on
"Home Directory" logged on a a non-root user and browse dirs that would need
root access? Can I change to root in the "file manager" that comes with
gnome, or do I have to logout and log back in as root? I also asked a
question yesterday about Cut and paste. I'm running my Linux on a laptop
that does not have a 3rd mouse button. So how would I copy and paste or cut
and paster with out the 3rd mouse button ?