desktop shortcuts have no icons.

This bug has been troubling me for months now.

Whenever I compile gmc from source, all my desktop
icons change to the default white "unknown file" icon.

The bug can be reproduced by taking a plain Redhat 6.1
machine, upgrading gnome from source using

./configure --prefix=/usr --sysconfdir=/etc
make && make install

then grabing the source for gmc and ugrading using

./configure --prefix=/usr --sysconfdir=/etc
make && make install

What could be causing this problem?

What are the recommended ./configure options for
compiling gnome and gmc?

Or maybe someone could explain to me how gmc finds
the icons for a shortcut?  Because no matter what icon
I choose for a desktop shortcut,  The icon remains
blank.

Thanks in advance,
Kervin